How can I improve?

Post any artwork that you specifically want to receive critique, paint-overs, or feedback on

How can I improve?

Postby blissfullyRandom » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:31 pm

Heya! Hope I'm doing this right, haven't posted on here before... I usually draw a little bit every day, and I'm really seeking improvement now that my highschool career is drawing to a close ( I actually just turned 18 today! ). I've attached a recent drawing of mine that I think is about average in terms of the art I draw (some are better, some are worse). In what areas do you think I could stand to improve the most, and how should I go about doing so? Many thanks! <3
Attachments
^950B181879D6F877DD118F989D4E4AB8ED351D9C39AB42B2A4^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
^950B181879D6F877DD118F989D4E4AB8ED351D9C39AB42B2A4^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg (86.31 KiB) Viewed 491 times
I serve none but to rock.
blissfullyRandom
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Re: How can I improve?

Postby 2tall4yall » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Hey bR, welcome on permanoobs! (although I am not much of a senior here) What do you want to draw primarily/what do you want to draw well? That is the key question in improving.

Based on your drawing, I would guess, it's people/characters. For that I would recommend Andrew Loomis' books on Anatomy. The most popular ones are "Figure drawing for all it's worth" and "Drawing the Head and Hands". Just carefully copying his drawings (and reading the text) should go a long way in the beginning. For figure drawing, I would also recommend Michael Hampton's "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention".

Drawing the structure of things with lines should be your first priority right now, in my opinion. You can gradually introduce shading and color with time. The mentioned books include basic shading of forms as a topic, I think. Have fun on that steep learning curve! :)
2tall4yall
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Re: How can I improve?

Postby blissfullyRandom » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:16 pm

2tall4yall wrote:Hey bR, welcome on permanoobs! (although I am not much of a senior here) What do you want to draw primarily/what do you want to draw well? That is the key question in improving.

Based on your drawing, I would guess, it's people/characters. For that I would recommend Andrew Loomis' books on Anatomy. The most popular ones are "Figure drawing for all it's worth" and "Drawing the Head and Hands". Just carefully copying his drawings (and reading the text) should go a long way in the beginning. For figure drawing, I would also recommend Michael Hampton's "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention".

Drawing the structure of things with lines should be your first priority right now, in my opinion. You can gradually introduce shading and color with time. The mentioned books include basic shading of forms as a topic, I think. Have fun on that steep learning curve! :)

Ah, thanks very much for the book recs! I'll definitely check those out. :)
I serve none but to rock.
blissfullyRandom
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Return to Critique