First time posting! Looking to improve :)

Post any artwork that you specifically want to receive critique, paint-overs, or feedback on

First time posting! Looking to improve :)

Postby Kastraz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi guys! Thank you so much for looking and/or helping out. I'm looking to get my art to professional levels, and I know I have a ways to go, so any critiques would be amazing. Be as harsh as you need to be!

I feel like my art is still too 'synthetic', and want to move towards a more painted kind of feel, like Magic: the Gathering for example. And for this specific piece, I know her face is off, but I can't pinpoint how to fix it, especially with the harsh lighting hitting the right side.

Anything is appreciated <3

Cheers!
Kastraz
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Re: First time posting! Looking to improve :)

Postby 2tall4yall » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:01 am

Hey Kastraz,

very nice piece! I made a quick paint-over of some things, that came to my mind. Just some minor things here and there. First off, I felt like the character was blending too much into the background. When working with a limited palette like your pinks and violetts, it is very important for the values/silhouette to read clearly. I made the figure lighter and the bg darker (I think that was your basic idea, meaning "light on dark").
You mentioned your concerns with the face. I figured, that the back of her head was a bit too prominent in this angle. It was also a bit unclear to me, where the light is coming from. Thats why the form of the face felt off to you. I also put in a cast shadow from her collar to indicate the direction of the light. To see the exact changes, I'd suggest, you pull my paintover over your original and switch the layer on and off to compare.

As for the painterly, MtG style. Don't worry about it too much. For this particular piece, a clean "digital" look seems appropriate. I always felt that Overwatch (that's a fanart of it, right?) has a clean and polished look to it. Especially this character who seems quite cyber-punky. If you want a painterly look for your work in general, I think you should just practice and experiment. The painterly brushmarks seem to come from a knowledge of fundamental drawing/rendering and the confidence it brings with it. There is a set of tutorials on Youtube (if it's still there) on brushwork by Shaddy Safadi, he calls it "juice". He has some interesting and specific thoughts an that topic.

Anywaaay, long post but I hope it helps!
paintover.jpg
paintover.jpg (305.27 KiB) Viewed 295 times
2tall4yall
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Kastraz » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:27 am

Wow, thank you so much for the reply! I didn't expect something this fast, you're awesome :)

I really appreciate the in-depth critique, I'm definitely going to keep the comparison file handy, it's so useful. The additional bg/character contrast really made it come together, and I'm a huge fan of the added lighting & cast shadow on the face. The back of the head was 100% what was causing those troubles, thanks so much for figuring that out for me!

And yes, that's an Overwatch fanart, I love that game tons. That little bit of advice is super reassuring - and thanks for the recommendation too.

I'm super grateful for your help wow!! :))
Kastraz
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby 2tall4yall » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:31 pm

You're welcome! Glad I could help :)
2tall4yall
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Return to Critique