Tear my fav works in pieces to make me learn from scratch

Post any artwork that you specifically want to receive critique, paint-overs, or feedback on

Tear my fav works in pieces to make me learn from scratch

Postby Le Grebe » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 am

Hello everyone!

So I guess, as I've started a sketchbook here, I would also get some advices on my more finished illustrations.

I'll start it with Danse Macabre. This one is one of my all time favorite. I did it back in autumn, to test my concept idea (the skeleton) for a personnal project I'm currently working on.

Apart from an anatomy failure in the form of a lady's second leg that shouldn't be visible, how would you improve this image? I can't think of anything, which means that it is currently the best I can do. I would love to hear what you would change to evovle through your opinions!
Attachments
danse_macabre_by_naeloj-dai6ewk.jpg
danse_macabre_by_naeloj-dai6ewk.jpg (129.83 KiB) Viewed 496 times
Le Grebe
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Re: Tear my fav works in pieces to make me learn from scratc

Postby rondellgayle » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:12 pm

It's definitely an interesting piece! Great creativity, I can visualize this as an idea that someone would think is cool in their head... if that makes sense. Like when you just think of something and you HAVE to put it down, it makes me think of that original idea.

The skeleton's right forearm looks a little elongated. I'm not sure how far the elbow would actually go into space, but it's distracting. It makes my eyes follow the bones of the forearm right to the skull and then wonder where the elbow is.
The woman's breasts might be a little too upright? It feels like they should sag more to either side of her rib cage so they're not sat so firmly on top of her chest against the robe. I'm not sure what happened with the ridge of her hips, but it is severely misplaced. The left crest of her hip is much too high for where the far leg is placed. It looks like you wanted his forearm to be placed against her side so she's bent against it, but her mid-torso section is too straight.
Personally, I'd like a slightly different background? Some vague buildings, a tiny world, a sand oasis behind them so they're standing on some ledge as if she's been plucked from the earth. Context would be nice.

I love the vague halo! It's subtle.

Hope this helps!
rondellgayle
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Return to Critique